1-The knee is a complex joint where the lower end of thigh bone (femur) and the upper end of the leg bone (tibia) are connected. The weight of the body is transmitted from the femur to the tibia. The “cartilage” (cushioning tissue) is attached to the surfaces of the femur and the tibia where they come in contact. Cartilage provides smooth cushioning and allows easy movement with lubricating fluid called as synovial fluid. Thus the bones do not touch during the movement; the cartilage covering the bone does, and forms a cushion between the bones. Why does the Knee pain? Due to constant use, the cartilage between the femur and the tibia wears out, the bones in the knee joint begin to rub against each other. This results in pain. In the beginning patients experience pain when they squat and exert their weight upon their knees. Gradually, even simple activities like walking and standing cause pain. Arthritis The commonest form of arthritis is osteoarthritis which is nothing but wear and tear of the articular cartilage and the bones. The second common of arthritis is rheumatoid arthritis. Most patients will have multiple joint affection, morning stiffness and welling. Gradually they develop multiple deformities mainly knees, small joints of the hands and hips. Leg Alignment Arthritis may lead to disfigurement of the knee joint. The two bones femur and tibia may not be in a line. This may lead to deformity which further increase pain and increase the risk of injury to the knee joint.
What is knee replacement? artificial knee Top Knee Replacement in Varanasi (TKR) surgery aims to remove the worn out cartilage and fixes the artificial knee consisting of a femoral part, a tibial part and patellar part. The femoral part replaces the lower end of thigh bone, “femur”. The tibial component replaces upper end of the leg bone “tibia”. The knee cap or patella is also replaced with a prosthesis or artificial knee cap. The Femoral component is made of special metal alloy. The tibial component and the knee cap are made of polyethylene compounds. The three parts of artificial joint are fixed to the bones with “bone cement”.
Am I candidate for TKR? Your orthopedic surgeon is the best person to evaluate and help you decide about your painful knee. Your full medical history will be considered, blood tests and X-Ray investigations will be carried out. In case you have other disease like Diabetes and High Blood Pressure you will be evaluated very carefully to prevent any possibility of complication after surgery.
What are the Risks in TKR? There is a small possibility of complications. Infections and formation of the veins of the limbs, called deep vein thrombosis or DVT, are some of the rare complication. These complications can be prevented by following your doctor’s advice strictly. Orthopedic Surgeon in Varanasi, This surgical will take around 45 minutes for the surgery to be completed. After everything is set, the wound will be closed. A drain tube will be left in the wound. This drain tube will be removed after 24 hours.
After the operation – Day 1 You will be permitted to sit up in the bed once you recover from anesthesia. The ankle & foot must be pushed up & down. This reduces the swelling of the limb & acts as a second heart boost your blood circulation. This will prevent clotting of blood I your blood vessels, called DVT.
One Day After Knee Replacement Surgery Day 2.
The drainage tube will be removed, dressing will be changed and physiotherapist will help you to stand and start walking with the help of walker.
2 Days After Surgery Day 3 to Day 5
The physiotherapist will show the knee bending exercise. Once you feel confident you will be allowed to do the exercise yourself. During the days you will be walking 3 to 4 times with a walker. Frequent short walks are recommended. You will be allowed to sit in a chair. Follow Up Your follow up examination is to be done monthly for three months after your surgery. After that you must consult your surgeon once a year. Precautions – You must take proper care of your new knee to pres erve it for a long time.
Frequently asked questions How many days do I spend in the hospital?
About five to ten days. When will be able to walk after the surgery? You may be able to walk the day after surgery. You start walking with a walker, which you’ll have to use for 2-3 weeks. Thereafter you can use a walking stick for the next 2-3 weeks till you are confident to leave the stick and walk on your own.
How long will the surgery last? Normally the surgery lasts for 45-50 minutes. Additional time is required for anesthesia, preparation of the leg, suturing the wound and monitoring the recover. So in all it may take around 2 hours.
Is this operation painful? How long will the pain last? This operation is as painful as any other operation. Your pain will be kept under control by a team of pain management consultants with the help of oral or intravenous medicines.
How long does the implant of the TKR last? The average life of a total knee replacement (TKR) implant is 18-20 years in more than 95% of the patients. The life of the implant will also depend on how you use it and how you take care of your artificial knee.
When can I resume my day to day activities? After going home on the 6th day after surgery you will be told to walk in the house for 4-5 times a day. The stitches on the operative wound will be removed 14-16 days after surgery. Other activities like swimming, driving a car or a two wheeler office and kitchen work are permitted after 4-6 weeks.
When can I travel? Domestic air travel can be done on the day of discharge. You may travel in a train or a car if the journey time is about 8-10 hours or less. You may travel abroad after 4 weeks of surgery.
How long can I walk or stand? You may walk and stand as long as you feel comfortable. There are no restrictions. The preferable standing time is 45 minutes to 1 hour. Walking 2 to 3 km is allowed.
What games or sports can I play? You may play golf, walk briskly or swim. Light weight lifting is allowed. Any impact sports like running, jogging, tennis, football and cricket must be avoided.
What should I avoid to protect my new artificial joint? If you want to have a long life for the newly replaced knee, you should not squat down in an Indian toilet or on the floor. Your knee will allow this type of mobility, but we do not recommend it for your benefit. Also, you must not sit on the floor.
What type of joint will be used in my surgery? We use the best implants available in the world. Such implants have been tested all over the world for more than two decades. The exact type of implant to be used in your knee will be decided by your surgeon during the operation. The decision will be based on your bone quality, muscle strength and other factors.
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT PACKAGE
- Surgeon’s fees, Asst. Surgeon’s fees and Anesthetist fees.
- Operation theatre charges.
- Room Charges (up to 10 days from admission date).
- Visit Charges of Arthroplasty Consultant during Package days.
- Physiotherapy during Package stay.
- Pre-operative Dental checkup, Eye checkup and Anesthesia checkup.
- Amount of Rs.10,000/- for Surgical Disposables including 1 pulse lavage.
- Dressing during package stay days and stitch removal charges
Package Excludes: Cost of Implant as per below mentioned joint (including cement):
|Implant||Cost fo Implant|
|All Polly(API) Make(Stryker/Dupey/Zimmer)||38000|
|Metal Back(MB) Make(Stryker/Dupey/Zimmer)||53000|
|Roting Platform Make(Stryker/Dupey/Zimmer)||55000|
|Metal Back Make(Inor/Indus)Indian||XXX|
- All pathological and radiological investigations, Physician check-ups, and Consultation fees.
- Medicines and Surgical Disposable other than mentioned above.
- Any Extra part like wedge, stem etc. if used.
- Cross Reference consultant charges.
- ICU and ventilator charges if required.
- Room charges, Physiotherapy charges and orthopedic surgeon visits in case of stay above package days.
- Anything extra which is not under the inclusion criteria.
- Admission fee.
- TPA Charges (if applicable).
- Hospital care charges will be applicable above the package days stay & services other than then mentioned in package.
Full deposit at the time of admission Admission and Discharge Information:
- Check-out time- 12:00 Noon.
- Kindly contact the admission department for admission.
- Payment through Cash or Demand Draft only.
- DD in favor of ———————–
- We also accept US Dollar, Pounds & Euro currencies according to Bank Rates.
- In case of Cashless/Mediclaim, if the sanction latter has not come, patient has to deposit the full amount as per deposit criteria on the day of admission.
- Patient is requested to arrange for blood donor (any group).
- Any damage caused to hospital property by patient’s attendant will be recovered from them as assessed by management.
- All visitors are requested not to use mobile phones to avoid disturbance to the patient & hospital staff.
- Children below 10 years are not allowed to visit hospital.
- Relatives are not allowed to eat in the ward.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, consumption of pan, tobacco etc is strictly prohibited in the hospital.
- Relatives are requested to maintain silence in the corridor, wards & critical area of the hospitals.
- Whenever the patient is shifted to SICU/MICU, then if patient relatives want to stay in the same room or require any other room then they are requested to pay the room charges as per the hospital policy.